CNBC has announced that “Restaurant Startup,” the newest addition to its primetime reality lineup, will premiere on Tuesday, July 8th at 10pm ET/PT. Produced by Shine America, the eight one-hour episodes feature restaurateur and TV personality Joe Bastianich and chef and restaurant operator Tim Love who vie to invest their own money in restaurant concepts they believe could make them millions.
Each week, two teams selected from hundreds of applicants are invited to pitch their food ideas to our investors. Under high-pressure questioning, each team tries to convince Bastianich and Love that theirs is a concept worth backing. But, only one team moves forward.
The chosen team is given the keys to a working restaurant on Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles. They get 36 hours and $7,500 to put their dream to the test and launch a pop-up restaurant; come up with a branding campaign; and write a business plan. Under the watchful eye of Bastianich and Love’s culinary consultant Waylynn Lucas, the aspiring food moguls open their doors, serve their food and test their concept on the public.
Based on the reaction from the diners, the quality of the branding and the viability of the business plan, Bastianich and Love decide whether or not they will put their own money on the line to make someone’s dreams come true; and hopefully, make big money for themselves.
This season, the hungry entrepreneurs vying for an investment and the chance to launch the next great concept in cuisine include companies from all across the country:
- Baby’s Badass Burgers – Los Angeles, CA
- Bacon Bacon – San Francisco, CA
- Banza! – Detroit, MI
- Bespoke Doughnuts – San Francisco, CA
- Bling Bling Dumplings – Los Angeles, CA
- Bon Chovie – Brooklyn, NY
- Knead – Warren, NJ
- Kones by K – Brooklyn, NY
- Kraken Congee – Seattle, WA
- Mac-o-licious – Los Angeles, CA
- Mills and Company Meats – Los Angeles, CA
- Ramy’s Falafel Fusion – Portland, OR
- Ravioli Revolution – Washington, DC
- Sugar Knife – Oakland, CA
- The Sticky Pig – Costa Mesa, CA
- The Whole Beast – San Francisco, CA
“Restaurant Startup” is produced for CNBC by Shine America and JB Crushed, LLC with James Bruce, Eden Gaha, Paul Franklin, Robin Feinberg and Joe Bastianich as executive producers. Jim Ackerman and Lucas Platt are the executive producers for CNBC.