275 Ounces of Ground Beef Await 5 Brave Souls Vying for 55 Challenge Championship
What do get when you have 5 of the fastest eaters in the world inhaling 275 ounces of ground beef?
And, for one lucky winner, $2,500.
On Saturday, April 23, noon, at the NC Pickle Festival in its hometown of Mount Olive, highly-decorated hometown hero Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries will host 5 record-holding eaters for its world-famous 55 Challenge, in which the participants will see who can devour 55 ounces of Hwy 55 burgers, fries and a drink in the fastest time for the world championship title and a sweet check for $2500. This year’s participants include:
- Molly Schuyler – reigning champion and 55 Challenge all-time record holder, who finished the challenge last year in two minutes and 12 seconds. Molly is a 120-pound spitfire mother of four.
- “Gentleman” Joe Menchetti – 4-time 55 Challenge winner, and winner of the inaugural 55 Challenge in 2008. Menchetti was featured on America’s Got Talent in 2010, when he attempted to eat 5 pizzas in 90 seconds.
- Dave “Tiger Wings and Things” Brunelli, a former professional boxer who makes regular appearances in the most high-profile eating contests in the world.
- Dale “The Mouth of the South” Boone, — another record holding eater, who claims to be the great grandson of Daniel Boone.
- Joe Hinostro – amateur champion, who completed the 55 Challenge in Hwy 55 in Locust, NC in 8 minutes and 30 seconds.”
“The 55 Challenge is always a main attraction and crowd-pleaser at the NC Pickle Festival,” said Hwy 55 founder and president Kenney Moore. “This is by far the most competitive group we’ve ever assembled for the event so it promises to be unforgettable.”
In addition to the world championship at the NC Pickle Festival, the 55 Challenge has been a crowd favorite on Hwy 55’s menu for years. The 55-ounce burger with seven patties and at least four trimmings on a bun comes with fries and a 24- ounce drink. If a guest can eat it all in 30 minutes, it’s free and Hwy 55 will put the guest’s name on their website for bragging rights. If the guest is unable to finish the meal in 30 minutes, it costs $29.99.
Hwy 55 Burgers, Shakes & Fries boasts a fresh, All-American diner experience with fresh, never-frozen burgers, premium sliced cheesesteaks piled high on steamed hoagies, and frozen custard made in-house every day. With its open-grill design, the kitchen’s dedication and care when hand-crafting meals is front and center.
Watch: Molly Schuyler at Hwy 55 Big A contest
Hwy 55, a retro-themed diner that features fresh, never-frozen hand-pattied burgers, house-made frozen custard, and other classic favorites in a unique open-kitchen setting, was founded in Goldsboro, North Carolina in 1991. Hwy 55 reflects founder Kenney Moore’s commitment to authentic hospitality and fresh food. Widely known in the state for its fresh food and service that exceeds expectations, the chain won BurgerBusiness.com’s “Best Burger” in 2012. It also was recently named a top 500 franchise in the United States by Entrepreneur magazine and a “Next 20” restaurant brand by Nation’s Restaurant News. HWY 55 currently has 125 locations in 10 states, Denmark and the United Arab Emirates. Like HWY 55 on at https://www.facebook.com/Hwy55burgers or follow us at https://twitter.com/hwy55burgers. For more information, visit https://www.hwy55.com.