July Explorer Series Celebrates Belgian Independence Day with Selections from Brewery Ommegang
Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom, a traditional casual dining restaurant known for its expansive selection of craft beers, is showing its support of Belgian and Belgian-inspired brews by featuring limited-time selections from Brewery Ommegang and some of Belgium’s most renowned breweries in its latest Explorer Series installment.
Officially kicking off on July 15 and just in time for Belgian Independence Day on July 21, Old Chicago guests at participating locations will be treated to Belgian and Belgian-style ales, fused with flavors that pair perfectly with any dish from the restaurant’s expansive and recently refreshed menu. Special to this series, guests will also be treated to the Ommegang Belgian Independence Day draft. Fans can enjoy this Dry Hopped Tripel selection at participating Old Chicago locations.
“As a craft beer authority, we really love introducing our guests to selections from around the world that they typically wouldn’t try,” said Jason Murphy, Old Chicago’s brand manager. “Our Explorer Series has not only enabled them to taste new beers, but has also educated them on brew origins, flavor combinations, food pairings, and more. We’re thrilled to be partnering with Ommegang for the July series and look forward to serving our guests selections inspired from abroad.”
Based in Cooperstown, New York, Ommegang prides itself on its intricate brewing process and is known to have brewed some of the best Belgian-style ales out there. There is a reason behind the use of every grain of malt and every seed of spice, that when blended with flavors such as citrus, honey or ginger, these craft beers give off an irresistible aroma and flavor to match.
The series will feature the following selections from Brewery Ommegang and sister breweries Duvel, Brasserie D’Achouffe, and Maredsous, and will be available until the tap runs out:
- Ommegang Belgian Independence Day Dry-Hopped Tripel – A golden-copper Belgian Tripel with a spicy aroma from signature Ommegang yeast, this beer also includes notes of bubblegum, apricot, tangerine, orange peel and melon. Flavors of honeyed malt, citrus and spiciness lead to a dry finish.
- La Chouffe – This Belgian Golden Ale was inspired by the legend of the gnomes, known as Chouffes. Brewed with spices, this beer pours orange-yellow with fruit, hops and citrus aroma that lead to a spicy finish.
- Duvel – This Belgian Pale Ale is a light golden beer with a warm haze. The aroma is subtly fruity with citrus notes from Citra hop, and slight honey and grain noted. Served in a bottle, dry and crisp with a balance of hops and malt on the palate, it finishes smooth with a touch of sweetness.
- Ommegang Hennepin Farmhouse Ale – Moderately hoppy farmhouse style ale with a champagne-like effervescence, this brew is decidedly crisp but light on the tongue and gives off flavors of ginger, spice, orange and toasted grain.
- Maredsous Brune – A rich mahogany-brown Belgian Dubbel, this delicate and creamy beer provides subtle hints of dark fruit, chocolate and toffee with a deep, dry and warming finish.
As an added perk, guests who try the Ommegang selections will be able to take home their very own commemorative Belgian Independence Day pint glass for just two dollars.
Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom (Old Chicago) is a traditional, casual dining restaurant specializing in Chicago-style pizzas, taproom classics and craft beer. Founded in 1976, Old Chicago operates in 22 states with 100 restaurants. With over 30 craft beers on tap, Old Chicago is also the home of the World Beer Tour which rewards members for enjoying 110 of the best craft beers from across the globe. Visit www.oldchicago.com to learn more and to find the restaurant nearest you. For information about franchise opportunities, visit www.ocfranchising.com.
Brewery Ommegang opened in 1997 to craft-brew fine Belgian-style ales. Ommegang brews eight ales year-round, as well as an extensive and imaginative range of seasonal and specialty ales. The beers have won a national following by connoisseurs of fine beer and are distributed in 43 states and internationally. Ommegang is located on a 136-acre farmstead in Cooperstown, New York and offers free daily tours and inexpensive tastings as well as a 100-seat cafe, a well-stocked brewery store, and an annual calendar of public events. Ommegang is open every day of the year except for Thanksgiving, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. For more information, contact email@example.com, call 1-800-544-1809, or visit www.ommegang.com. Ommegang is a member of the Duvel family of fine beers. Follow Ommegang on Twitter: @BreweryOmmegang, Facebook.com/Ommegang, and Instagram: @BreweryOmmegang
CraftWorks Restaurants & Breweries, Inc. is the largest craft brewery restaurant operator in the country with nearly 200 franchised and company-owned restaurants primarily operating under the Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom, Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurants and Rock Bottom Restaurants & Breweries brands. As a leader in the casual dining segment, CraftWorks also operates strong regional brands, including ChopHouse and Big River, and employs more than 12,000 people throughout the U.S. All of CraftWorks’ restaurant brands have innovative menus with made-from-scratch food and a vast selection of unique craft beer, as well as unbeatable service and loyalty programs that tout over a half-million active members. Based in Broomfield, Colo., CraftWorks is not only committed to serving its loyal guests, but also the communities in which its restaurants operate. In 2000, the CraftWorks Foundation was formed and has contributed millions of dollars positively impacting communities throughout the country. For additional information about CraftWorks, the foundation and its craft brewery restaurant brands, please visit www.craftworksrestaurants.com.