Largest Casual Dining Mexican Restaurant Chain Re-Recipes Some Best Sellers, Offers Innovative Items with 590 Calories or Less
With the holiday season in the rear view mirror and calorie-counting resolutions in full view, On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina is helping its guests get smart with Border Smart items, some of OTB’s best-selling items, including fajitas, enchiladas and tacos — all with 590 or less calories.
“Just because you make a resolution to cut calories doesn’t mean you have to stop enjoying great flavors and enjoying incredible food,” said Jamie Carawan, On The Border’s senior director of culinary and innovation. “With Border Smart, OTB guests don’t have to cut a thing except the guilt. They can enjoy their favorite OTB items with all of the bold flavors and under 590 calories.”
On The Border guests can treat themselves to the following delicious Border Smart items:
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Tacos (360-500 calories) – Two grilled chicken tacos, pico de gallo, lime-cilantro chimichurri, soft corn tortillas, served with choice of black beans, cilantro lime rice or grilled vegetables.
- with grilled vegetables (360 cal.)
- with black beans (480 cal.)
- with cilantro lime rice (500 cal.)
- Tomatillo Enchiladas (300-490 calories) – Two chicken tinga or spinach & mushroom enchiladas, tomatillo sauce, queso fresco, served with choice of black beans, cilantro lime rice or grilled vegetables.
- with grilled vegetables (300 – 350 cal.)
- with black beans (420 – 460 cal.)
- with cilantro lime rice (440 – 490 cal.)
- Mango Chicken Salad (400 calories) – Chopped romaine, grilled chicken, roasted corn, black beans, mango, jicama, pico de gallo, queso fresco and fat-free mango citrus Vinaigrette.
- Grilled Chicken Fajitas (550 calories) – Mesquite-grilled chicken, sautéed onions, red & green bell peppers, served with black beans, shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole and white corn tortillas.
- Mexican Grilled Chicken (450 calories) – Chicken breast, pico de gallo and choice of sauce (Tomatillo or Spicy Salsa Fresca), served with cilantro lime rice and grilled vegetables.
On The Border’s popular Create Your Own Combo option also has a spot on the Border Smart Menu. With Create Your Own Border Smart Combo (170-590 calories depending on the combination) guests can pick two from the following options: Side Salad with salsa (60 cal.), Tomatillo Chicken Enchilada (Chicken Tinga – 140 cal. or Spinach & Mushroom – 120 cal.), Grilled Chicken Fajita Taco (150 cal.) or Tostada — Seasoned Ground Beef (180 cal.), Chicken Tinga (140 cal.) or Guacamole (200 cal.).
“There are no short cuts or flavor compromises here,” continued Carawan. “The calorie counts for our Border Smart dishes are achieved by careful selection of ingredients and portion sizes, not modification to ingredients. Our guests will still experience all of the great OTB flavors they crave, just with fewer calories.”
Price and participation may vary. Call your local On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina for details.
On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina is the world’s largest Mexican casual dining chain, offering an extensive menu of great-tasting, classic and contemporary Mexican food, like sizzling mesquite-grilled fajitas, and Margaritas as big and bold as the border itself. On The Border is owned by Border Holdings, LLC, with more than 150 restaurants in 36 states, Puerto Rico, Asia and the Middle East. Follow and ‘like’ On The Border on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OnTheBorderMexicanGrillandCantina, and @OnTheBorder on Twitter. For more information, visit www.ontheborder.com.