National consumer survey reveals Americans love for pizza AND the crust
Just in time for National Pizza Month, Pizza Inn begins a seven-week quest to encourage pizza eaters to leave no crust behind. For a limited time beginning October 5, Pizza Inn is offering its Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust pizza for $10.99 to add more flavor to every bite.
A recent survey conducted by Kelton and commissioned by Pizza Inn found that 73% of Americans always eat the crust of pizza. More than half (55%) of those who don’t always eat the crust say they would be motivated to eat it if it were stuffed with cheese. Overwhelmingly, 9 in 10 Americans’ mouths would water for a cheese-stuffed crust making the Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust the perfect solution for crust lovers and typical crust rejecters!
“The texture and toasty flavor of crust make it enticing for most people to eat,” said Patty Scheibmeir, head of product innovations and R&D for RAVE Restaurant Group’s Pizza Inn. “Our Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust gives that extra cheesy incentive for those who might typically skip eating the crust and gives crust lovers more of what they love.”
Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust is baked with fresh dough made daily, stuffed with real mozzarella cheese and topped with a blend of Romano and Parmesan cheeses. Pizza lovers can enjoy any of their favorite toppings on the pizza. The limited time price of $10.99 will be offered at participating Pizza Inn locations from October 5 through November 22.
Among other findings, the survey confirmed pizza – including the crust – is a staple that consumers don’t seem to want to live without:
- Pizza love is stronger than ever as nearly all Americans (98%) eat pizza – and on average enjoy it 3 times per month.
- Good morning beautiful! 35% of millennials consider pizza the perfect breakfast compared to 25% of non-millennials.
- Save it for later. 54% of Americans consider pizza the best leftovers.
- No time to heat it up? Nearly half (45%) claim pizza is as good cold as it is warm.
- Pizza makes it all better. 70% of pizza eaters consider pizza to be comfort food.
- Crust matters with the majority (73%) of American’s always eating it – that goes up to 80% for pizza eaters who devour pizza once a week or more.
- People actually steal crust. One quarter of Americans (24%) admit they’ve asked for someone else’s left over pizza crust – 19% of people have gone as far as stealing someone’s crust off their plate!
- Like parents, like child. Parents who always eat the crust are more likely than those who don’t to say that their child also always eats the crust. 40% of parents say their child always eats the crust.
Pizza Inn launched the Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust last year, receiving positive response from consumers and local operators. During this year’s promotion, pizza fans can earn the chance to win free pizza for a year by showing their love for the Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust by posting selfies (#cheezysupporter) and tagging official Pizza Inn social media channels. Pizza fans can join in the conversation online and see how pizza-loving kids feel about crust in the campaign’s social video: https://youtu.be/neVMmi4rMx0.
The national online survey was conducted by Kelton between August 28 and September 3 among 1,027 nationally representative Americans 18+ with a 3.1% margin of error. Kelton is a leading global insights firm and partner to more than 100 of the Fortune 500 and thousands of smaller companies and organizations.
To learn more about Pizza Inn’s Triple Cheezy Stuffed Crust and to find a Pizza Inn near you, visit www.pizzainn.com.
Pizza Inn is a subsidiary of RAVE Restaurant Group, Inc (NASDAQ: RAVE) based in Dallas. RAVE owns, franchises and supplies more than 300 Pizza Inn and Pie Five restaurants operating domestically and internationally. Founded in 1958, Pizza Inn is an international pizza chain featuring traditional and specialty pizzas, as well as freshly made pastas, sandwiches, and desserts. For more information, please visit www.pizzainn.com.