Major growth planned for 2017 with new executive leadership
Brett Randle, CEO of Soulman’s Bar-B-Que, has just announced the company will roll out the first phase of a national expansion plan for the treasured barbecue concept early next year. In the past decade, the 40-plus-year-old brand has seen booming growth in the 14 owner-operated locations throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area. They will expand that opportunity to a limited number of franchisees within a 100-mile radius of DFW beginning in January 2017.
Randle said, “We have been preparing for this highly anticipated program for some time. Soulman’s Bar-B-Que is a unique brand that was created in 1974 by combining traditional family recipes and exceptional Texas-style barbecue. Our franchisees will not only be supported with great Soulman’s foods, but with outstanding leadership and field support along with the opportunity for potential growth. Collectively, our executive leadership has more than 100 years of experience that we will confidently use to propel our franchisees into success with our brand.”
To that end, Soulman’s is announcing the hiring of Randall McGee, a veteran operations management executive, to serve as the company’s Chief Operating Officer and Vice President of Franchising. McGee comes with more than 20 years of experience conceptualizing, developing and implementing innovative and strategic solutions for franchise operations including Bob Evans Restaurants, Valvoline Instant Oil Change and SportsClips, Inc. Notably, McGee led and strengthened store performance for Long John Silver’s and A&W Restaurants with new programs in efficiency and functionality during his tenure as Senior Vice President of company and franchise operations at YUM Brands.
McGee believes that Soulman’s Bar-B-Que is ideally positioned for success for future franchisees who have a passion for the Soulman’s brand.
“We are seeking candidates who may have restaurant operation experience or franchisees of other brands. Prior food experience is helpful but not essential. Soulman’s offers a comprehensive training program for its franchisees. It is our goal as a franchisor to provide service and training to our franchise partners that exceeds industry standards. Our franchisees will have complete access to our systems and more than 100 years of combined barbecue and restaurant experience.”
Soulman’s Bar-B-Que will limit the number of opportunities centralized to North Texas. These locations, once approved by Soulman’s, can be a ground up building or possible second generation building that can be remodeled to Soulman’s design specifications.
In May of 2016, Soulman’s opened a pilot franchise at 1567 West Main St. in Lewisville, Texas, in a former Pizza Hut location. The conversion, opening and operations proved smooth and successful.
McGee added, “Historically, a good portion all of the Soulman’s locations have been second generation, as it is absolutely one of the most economic ways to maximize value in opening a new restaurant location. We are committed to the success of our franchisees, their individual businesses and ultimately the successful growth of the Soulman’s brand.”
Soulman’s Bar-B-Que Franchise FAQ’s
- What are the qualities you are looking for in an ideal franchisee? A Franchisee should be able to answer “Yes” to all of the following questions.
- Do you have a passion for the Soulman’s brand?
- Do you have proven restaurant industry success?
- Do you think you would fit well with our Soulman’s culture?
- Do you enjoy serving customers?
- Do you have the desire and ability to grow more than one Soulman’s location?
- In addition, you must meet minimum net worth and liquidity requirements.
- How much does it cost to open a Soulman’s BBQ franchise?
- The investment necessary to begin operation of a Soulman’s Bar-B-Que franchise ranges from $250,000 – $1,100,000 for building and equipment. This does not include the cost of the land.
- What are the franchise fees and royalties?
- The franchise fee is $25,000 per location. Our ongoing Royalty Fee is six percent. The franchise fee secures your right to own and operate a Soulman’s Bar-B-Que restaurant in your approved territory. The ongoing royalty grants you the right to use the Soulman’s Bar-B-Que name, trademarks, recipes, décor, training, procedures, etc. There is a required two percent of sales per month dedicated to local store marketing. There is also a System Fund contribution of one percent that may be required that promotes the Soulman’s Bar-B-Que brand.
- What are the financial requirements to become a franchisee?
- Soulman’s requires candidates desiring to open one restaurant to have a net worth of $1,000,000 with a minimum of $250,000 in liquid, unencumbered assets (like cash). The candidates must also be able to obtain financing to cover the total costs of opening a franchised location.
- If I don’t meet the financial or operational criteria to become a franchisee, can I partner with someone who does qualify?
- Soulman’s requires a complete application package for each member of your potential franchise group.
- Do I have to have any years of restaurant experience to qualify as a franchisee?
- Prior food experience is helpful but not essential. Soulman’s offers a comprehensive training program for its franchisees.
- Do you have financing programs in place?
- Not at this time.
- Will Soulman’s provide initial and ongoing support through: Operations, Development, Marketing, Training/HR, Supply Chain, Quality Assurance, as well as Business Management and Strategy?
- In fact, it is our goal as a franchisor to provide “above and beyond” service and training to our franchise partners. Our franchisees will have complete access to our systems and more than 100 years of combined barbecue and restaurant experience.
- How long does the franchise process take?
- The total amount of time will vary due to issues such as constructing a new building or remodeling a second generation building and the process for acquiring local permitting. A franchisee can expect this process to be between three and 18 months.
- What is the process for becoming a franchisee?
- Complete and submit a franchise inquiry form and application
- Receive a Franchise Disclosure Document
- Attend a discovery day and interview with Soulman’s Leadership team
- Obtain preliminary approval
- Begin the site selection evaluation
- Acquire approval of site from Soulman’s
- Acquire approval for building design
- Permitting and construction occurs
- Attend training
- Pre-opening marketing and hiring
- Grand opening
- What is the required training and where will it take place?
- The required training process is between six to eight weeks in one of our company training restaurants. We provide a comprehensive training program that focuses on all aspects of our business. A minimum of two people from each approved franchise location must complete the full Soulman’s training program.
- What are the next steps potential franchisees take?
- Submit an inquiry for a Soulman’s franchise to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the inquiry is received, the candidate will be sent a Soulman’s Application to fill out and submit for consideration.
For more than 42 years, Soulman’s Bar-B-Que has satisfied the hardest to please barbecue lovers…Texans! Their selections of meats are cooked “low and slow” over hickory in a time-honored tradition: beef brisket, ham, hot links, sausage, turkey, chicken, pulled pork and, the crowd favorite, ribs. Ranch House Beans and Spicy Cream Corn are among the delicious homemade sides. Soulman’s currently has 15 North and East Texas locations in Cedar Hill, Dallas, Forney, Garland, Greenville, Lancaster, Lewisville, Mesquite, Quinlan, Hurst, Rockwall (2), Royse City, Terrell, Van and Allen. To learn more about Soulman’s Bar-B-Que, visit them online at https://soulmans.com/the-soulmans-story/ or on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/soulmansbbq.