The SUBWAY brand, comprising the world’s largest “family” of small business owners — its franchisees — today revealed several key growth milestones in 2014, including the opening of the 30,000th North American store on the George Mason University campus. Other milestones include:
- Opened 2,609 new store locations worldwide
- 2,000th store opening in the United Kingdom and Ireland (located at the Jarman Leisure Park in Hemel, Hempstead, United Kingdom)
- 13,000th international location (located in a KOCH department store in Tijucas, Brazil)
- Entered three new international markets: Sri Lanka, Mauritius and Kosovo
- Internationally created approximately 22,000 new jobs through Subway franchisees (bringing Subway’s total international number to around 434,000)
- Named top restaurant concept and fastest growing franchise by ENTREPRENEUR magazine
“Last year we were glad to welcome nearly one thousand new franchisees into our family,” said Chief Development Officer Don Fertman, who has been with the brand for 34 years and joined the company when just 166 restaurants were opened. “I personally have seen the power of providing entrepreneurs with the opportunity to open and operate their own business and the impact that has on the community. We are proud to continue that longstanding tradition.”
Subway currently has 43,500 locations in 109 countries and plans to open an additional 2,500 global restaurants in 2015.
“Our customers can expect to continue to find us where they live, work and play, and we look forward to another year of exciting milestones as we continue to grow our international footprint,” Don said.
For more information, visit www.subway.com.