If you’ve ever had any question or doubt about the importance of mobile for your restaurant’s marketing strategy, a recent report will affirm that it’s more essential than ever. So if you haven’t invested in your mobile strategy, it is time to make it a priority.
According to the report, Mobile Path To Purchase: The New Shopper Mindset:
- Total number of smartphone users now rivals desktop. Mobile now accounts for 51 percent of time spent online for key categories. For restaurants, the breakdown is 50 percent for smartphones, 46 percent for PCs and four percent for tablets.
- More than half (60 percent) of smartphone users use their mobile device to make their purchase decision. Additionally, 42 percent of shoppers say mobile is the most important medium for their decision.
- People making purchase decisions on their mobile devices make them fast. In fact, according to the report, two-thirds of mobile consumers are looking to make a purchase the same day; 34 percent of consumers are ready to make their restaurant purchase immediately; and 30 percent want to eat within the hour.
- Most mobile activity takes place at the start of the purchase decision-making process. For restaurants, 51 percent of mobile users used their device at the start of the purchase process, researching all the options. Thirty-seven percent turn to it in the middle of their shopping process when considering specific restaurants and 12 percent go mobile at the end to contact a specific restaurant to make a reservation or place an order. Finally, almost one-quarter of mobile device users use their smartphones or tablets all the way through the process.
So where do you start? A mobile strategy should, at the very least, involve a responsive design website, which optimizes your site’s user experience and screen size for any different type of platform, such as tablets and cell phones.
Once you have your responsive design site in place, you will need to begin planning your mobile marketing strategy to make your restaurant more visible in mobile searches.
To increase your restaurant’s visibility on mobile search, here are some options:
- Create a mobile Pay-Per-Click advertising program, which serves targeted ads about your restaurant to mobile users searching for restaurants like yours around their area or based on their particular search preferences.
- Tell your customers and fans about your mobile site and all of its tools/functionality through email, social media, postcards, digital signage, or on your blog.
- Offer opt-in mobile coupons. Give mobile users exclusive access to your restaurant coupons when they enter their email address.
- Submit to mobile search engines and directories. Let the mobile search engines and directories know about your mobile website by submitting it. This is a free and easy step you’ll need to take.
- Create a mobile app. Depending on your restaurant’s concept, you can design a mobile app that lets your mobile users manage their dining experience, such as giving them the ability to reserve a table, place an order and pay their bill.
Mobile usage will only continue to grow, so making mobile a key part of your marketing strategy is sure to pay off.
Article provided by Buzztime.
For daily tips, ideas, and concepts for your bar or restaurant, please visit
Trusted by over 3,200 bars and restaurants in North America since 1985, Buzztime integrates trivia, card and sports games with in- and out-of-venue messaging and communication tools. With over 4.2 million player registrations on the Buzztime platform and over 52 million games played each year, Buzztime players spread the word and invite friends and family to their favorite Buzztime location to enjoy an evening of fun and competition.