Zagat has released the results of the 2011/12 Long Island Restaurants Survey. The guide is available at ZAGAT.com, in bookstores and via Zagat’s suite of mobile apps. The Survey covers 901 restaurants reviewed by 6,217 local diners. Highlights are as follows:
- Big Winners: North Fork Table in Southold (Top Food, Top Service), earned a rare 29 on Zagat’s 30-point scale for Food; Palm Court (Top Decor) in East Meadow; Peter Luger (Most Popular), undefeated for 18 years in a row.
- Top Newcomer: Aperitif in Rockville Centre, rated 25 on Zagat’s 30-point scale for Food.
- Other Newcomers: Small Plates (Sugar Dining Den & Social Club in Carle Place, Swallow in Huntington, Vero in Amityville), Bistros (Bistro 25 in Sayville, Bar Frites in Greenvale) and Hamptons Arrivals (South Edison in Montauk, Southfork Kitchen in Bridgehampton).
- Average Meal Cost: dropped for the first time since 1998, from $41.41 in the last Survey to $40.42 this year.
- Tips Continue to Increase: 19.3% this year, up from 19.2% in the last Survey.
- Meals Out Per Week: 2.8 times per surveyor, remains the same as last Survey.
- Top Complaints: Service (66%), Noise (17%), Food (6%), Prices (5%) and Crowding (3%).
- Favorite Cuisines: Italian (38%), American (18%), French (10%) and Japanese (10%).
- Green: 56% of diners consider locally sourced, organic or sustainably raised food items important.
- Mobile Manners: 68% say it is “rude” to text, tweet, call or e-mail at the table.
- Cash-Only: 43% say they avoid “cash-only” restaurants.
- Men Are Treated Better Than Women: 28% think male diners are treated better; 5% say females.
Zagat’s 2011/12 Long Island Restaurants Survey
Known as the “burgundy bible,” Zagat Survey is the world’s most trusted source for consumer-generated survey information. With a worldwide network of surveyors, Zagat rates and reviews restaurants, hotels, nightlife, movies, music, golf, shopping and a range of other entertainment categories and is lauded as the “most up-to-date,” “comprehensive” and “reliable” guide, published on all platforms. Zagat content is available to consumers wherever and whenever they need it: on ZAGAT.com, ZAGAT.mobi, ZAGAT TO GO for smartphones and in book form.