Zagat has released the results of the 2011/12 Westchester/Hudson Valley Restaurants Survey. The guide is available in bookstores, at ZAGAT.com and via Zagat’s suite of mobile apps. The Survey covers 943 restaurants reviewed by 5,143 local diners. Highlights are as follows:
- Winners: Sushi Nanase in White Plains (Top Food) with a near-perfect 29 on Zagat’s 30-point scale; Glenmere in Chester (Top Decor); Blue Hill at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills (Top Service); X2O Xaviars on the Hudson in Yonkers is Most Popular.
- Top Newcomer: Restaurant North in Armonk, rated 26 on Zagat’s 30-point scale for Food.
- Other Noteworthy Newcomers: Fig & Olive – Scarsdale, Arrosto – Port Chester, Cienega – New Rochelle, Thyme – Yorktown Heights, Village Social – Mt. Kisco, Boitson’s – Kingston, Tuthill House – Gardiner, Birdsall House – Peekskill and Tarry Tavern – Tarrytown.
- Best Buys: Hot dog shops Soul Dog (Poughkeepsie) and Walter’s (Mamaroneck) are Nos. 1 and 2.
- Reflecting a national trend, average meal cost fell from $38.99 in 2009 to $38.26 this year.
- Tips Continue to Increase: 19.2% this year, up from 19.1% in 2009 and 18.9% in 2007.
- Main Complaints: Service (62%), Noise (19%), Food (8%) and Prices (7%).
- Favorite Cuisines: Italian (33%), American (16%), French (15%) and Japanese (10%).
- Mobile Manners: 70% say it is “rude” to text, tweet, call or e-mail at the table.
- Letter Grades: 80% agree restaurants should be required to post Department of Health letter grades.
- Green: 64% of surveyors say locally sourced, organic or sustainably raised food is important.
- Cash-Only: 44% say they avoid “cash-only” restaurants.
- Battle of the Sexes: 24% think male diners are treated better; only 4% say females are favored.
Known as the “burgundy bible,” Zagat Survey is the world’s most trusted source for consumer-generated survey information. With a worldwide network of surveyors, Zagat rates and reviews restaurants, hotels, nightlife, movies, music, golf, shopping and a range of other entertainment categories and is lauded as the “most up-to-date,” “comprehensive” and “reliable” guide, published on all platforms.